Resolution No. 95-51 – Curfew For Minors
Pursuant to Section 505.89, Ohio Revised Code, this Board of Township Trustees for Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, has observed an alarming increase in the number of criminal acts perpetrated against the citizen and businesses in Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, by minors. Many of these crimes involve destruction of private property contributing to a general climate of insecurity and lawlessness. With the proliferation of crime, criminal acts committed by minors have become more serious and have contributed to an unsafe environment for our youth. A large number of these crimes are committed by minors between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. The residents, individuals and businesses of Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, have experienced an unacceptable number of offenses perpetrated against the citizens and businesses of Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, by minors. Hence, sufficient reason exists for this Board of Township Trustees to declare a curfew for minors within the unincorporated area of Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio.
Section I Definition
- Minor” shall mean a person who is under the age of 18 years of age
- Remain” shall mean to linger, stay behind, tarry, to stay upon the public right-of-way, street, alley, highway, roadway, sidewalk, playground, park, plaza, building, or other place used by or open to the public
- Adult” means a natural person at least 21 years of age.
- “Emergency” means any unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action. This includes, but is not limited to, afire, natural disaster, or automobile accident, or any situation requiring immediate action to prevent serious bodily injury or loss of life.
- “Emancipated Minor” means a minor child under the age of 18 years of age and free of parental control.
Section II Curfew Violation
Any minor under the age of 18 years of age shall be an unruly child as provided in ‘Chapter 2151, Ohio Revised Code, if that child is, or remains in, or about or upon any place in Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, or upon any place in this Township away from the dwelling place or usual place of abode of that minor between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. of the following day. The provisions of this section do not apply to any emancipated minor or to a minor when accompanied by his or her parent, guardian, or other adult person having the care, custody, or supervision of that minor; or where that minor is on an emergency; or where minor is exercising First Amendment rights protected by the United States Constitution and/or pertinent sections of the Ohio Constitution; or where that minor is going to or from employment; and/or is on specific business or activity directed or permitted by his or her parent, guardian, or other adult having the care, custody, or supervision of that minor.
Section III Penalty
Any minor violating this Resolution shall be charged as being an unruly child and taken before the Juvenile Court [Juvenile Division of the Court of Common Pleas for Hamilton County], Ohio] as provided in Chapter 2151. of the Ohio Revised Code.
Section IV Effectiveness
This Resolution shall take effect immediately as an emergency measure to insure the peace and tranquility of Columbia Township in Hamilton County, Ohio, and shall be posted at the Township Administration Building and the Madison Place Fire Department for seven days.